Internet-based social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter have created a revolution in social connectivity. However, they also have the ability to expose personal and private information, leaving users vulnerable to a number of potential threats including scams, identify theft, and social targeting from individuals or groups intending to do harm.
Protect you and your family - keep your personal information safe from those who could use it to target you for their own purposes. Review the FBI's Parent's Guide to Internet Safety and their Social Media Smart Cards for properly configuring your account privacy and security settings on some of the more popular social networking sites.
- A Parent's Guide to Internet Safety: http://go.usa.gov/GQKJ
- Facebook Settings Smart Card: http://go.usa.gov/GQ8h
- Google+ Settings Smart Card: http://go.usa.gov/GQ9P
- LinkedIn Settings Smart Card: http://go.usa.gov/GQ9G
- Twitter Settings Smart Card: http://go.usa.gov/GQXC
For additional online safety tips for your and your family, please visit the Department of Homeland Security's new internet safety portal at www.OnGuardOnline.gov.
For additional social media education and training topics, please visit the Department of Defense Social Media Education and Training page: http://www.defense.gov/socialmedia/education-and-training.aspx